Marriage: Adding a Spouse to Your Plan

Employer-sponsored group plans

To add a dependent spouse to your HMSA plan, you must provide your employer with a copy of your marriage certificate within 31 days of the marriage.

Your spouse’s effective date of coverage will be the first day of the month following notification to your employer. If you miss the 31-day window after your marriage date, you’ll have to wait until your next open enrollment period. Coverage for your spouse will be effective from the next open enrollment effective date.

For information on enrolling a civil union partner, see civil unions.

Note: HMSA’s Plan for Federal Employees has different instructions for enrolling a new spouse. Please contact your plan administrator or HMSA Customer Relations for more information.

Individual plans

For individual plans that allow coverage of dependents, a new spouse or civil union partner may be added to the plan within 31 days after the marriage or union date without medical underwriting. If the request is made after the 31-day window, your spouse or partner will be subject to medical underwriting. You’ll need to provide a copy of the marriage or civil union certificate and your dependent’s effective date of coverage will be the first day of the month following your notification to HMSA.

Requests must be made in writing and sent to HMSA at the address or fax number below:

HMSA Membership Services Department
PO Box 860
Honolulu, HI 96808-0860

Fax number: 808-948-6614 on Oahu

For additional information about coverage of a spouse or partner, we encourage you to read: