Diabetes Prevention Program
Want to lose weight, feel better, and prevent or delay type 2 diabetes?
How does it work?
The program includes lessons, handouts, and resources from the Centers for Disease control and Prevention to help you live a healthier lifestyle. This program can last up to 2 years.
In the first six months of the program, you’ll attend 16 core sessions that will help you change your diet, increase your physical activity, and lose weight. After the first six months, you can attend monthly follow-up meetings to help you stay on track. Participants who lose at least 5% of their weight in the first 12 months can continue monthly follow up meetings for a total of 24 months. A lifestyle coach specifically trained to lead the program will support you in your goals and help you maintain your progress. The coach also leads fun and engaging group discussions.
Who’s the program for?
You may be eligible for the program if you:
- Are 18 or older.
- Have a body mass index of at least 25 (or at least 23 if you identify as Asian).
- Have had at least one of the three following results within the first 12 months of the program:
- Haven’t been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes (other than gestational diabetes).
- Don’t have end-stage renal disease.
- Haven’t enrolled in the program before.
How can I participate?
If you’re at risk for diabetes, ask your doctor if this program is right for you.
Participating program sites
4835 Kilauea Ave.
Honolulu, HI 96816
1335 Kalihi St.
Honolulu, HI 96819
94-440 Mokuola St.
Waipahu, HI 96797
95-1190 Hikikaulia St.
Mililani, HI 96789