HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program
HMSA Kaimana Scholarships
For student athletes, the HMSA Kaimana Scholarships reward those who not only shine in the classroom and the playing field, but also in their communities through volunteer work. Special consideration is given to students who participate in lower-profile sports.
Recipients can use their scholarships to pay for college tuition, books, computers, and room and board. Scholarship use is subject to NCAA rules and regulations for those who are participating in collegiate sports.
Eligible students must:
- Graduate from a Hawaii high school in 2017.
- Hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Participate on at least one sports team recognized by their league during their high school career.
- Write a brief essay on their high school experience and plans after they graduate.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from school faculty with their application.
- Submit an official transcript with the GPA verified and signed by an authorized member of the school faculty.
Up to 15 students will be awarded scholarships for $5,000. The application deadline is Friday, February 10, 2017. No exceptions. Please see page 2 of the application for submission details.
HMSA Kaimana Awards for High Schools
These awards recognize Hawaii high schools for all-around excellence in five categories. Schools compete in their own league and earn points in:
- Community service
- Healthy activities
All public and independent HHSAA high schools statewide are eligible to win HMSA Kaimana Awards. Winners are awarded in each of the state’s five leagues, which is comprised of the:
- Big Island Interscholastic Federation (BIIF)
- Interscholastic League of Honolulu (ILH)
- Kauai Interscholastic Federation (KIF)
- Maui Interscholastic League (MIL)
- Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA)
School points are due by April 29, 2017.