HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program
HMSA Kaimana Scholarships
For student athletes, the HMSA Kaimana Scholarship rewards those who not only shine in the classroom and the playing field, but also in their communities through volunteer work. Special consideration is given to students who participate in lower-profile sports.
Recipients can use their scholarships to pay for college tuition, books, computers, and room and board. Scholarship use is subject to NCAA rules and regulations for those who are participating in collegiate sports.
Eligible students must:
- Graduate from a Hawaii high school in 2019.
- Hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Participate in at least one sport recognized by their league during their high school career.
- Write a brief essay on their high school experience and plans after they graduate.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from school faculty with their application.
- Submit an official transcript with the GPA verified and signed by an authorized member of the school faculty.
HMSA will award up to 15 students $5,000 scholarships each. Applications are due at 4 p.m. on Friday, February 8, 2019. All mailed applications, essays, and letters of recommendations must be postmarked by Friday, February 8, 2019. Please see page 2 of the application for submission details. For more information, contact Kaehuokalani Spencer at email@example.com or 808-948-5304 on Oahu.
HMSA Kaimana Awards for High Schools
These awards recognize Hawaii high schools for all-around excellence in five categories. Schools compete in their own league and earn points in:
- Community service
- Healthy activities
All public and independent HHSAA high schools statewide are eligible to win HMSA Kaimana Awards. Winners are awarded in each of the state’s five leagues, which is comprised of the:
- Big Island Interscholastic Federation (BIIF)
- Interscholastic League of Honolulu (ILH)
- Kauai Interscholastic Federation (KIF)
- Maui Interscholastic League (MIL)
- Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA)
School points are due by April 12, 2019.
Check out a Behind-The-Scenes look at our 2017 program.