Since July 1, 2012, HMSA plans that include Affordable Care Act (ACA) women’s preventive services have offered enhanced birth-control-related benefits for women. These include FDA-approved contraceptives, sterilization procedures, and patient education and counseling. Please check with your employer to see if your plan includes these services.
If covered, the following contraceptives and contraceptive services are available to you at no charge (no copayment, deductible, or coinsurance) when prescribed and rendered by an HMSA participating provider.
- Contraceptive counseling.
- Generic oral contraceptives (also known as “the Pill”).
- Contraceptive rings and patches (e.g., NuvaRing and Ortho Evra).
- Diaphrams and cervical caps.
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs).
- Implants (e.g., Implanon).
- Injectables (e.g., Depo-Provera, Lunelle).
- Sterilization procedure (tubal ligation).
Please discuss the various methods of birth control with your provider to determine which method is best for you.
You aren’t covered for contraceptive foams, creams, condoms, or other non-prescription contraceptives or supplies.
HMSA will cover contraceptives or contraceptive services that meet certain requirements. Also, if your prescription for contraceptives or contraceptive services is primarily to treat a medical condition and not for the prevention of pregnancy, you may still owe a copayment. Please contact your plan administrator or HMSA Customer Relations for more information.