Enrolling Children with Special Needs

If your child has a disability and has reached the maximum age of eligibility for child dependents under your plan, you may enroll your child in your plan by providing HMSA with written documentation demonstrating all of the following:

  • Your child is incapable of self-sustaining support due to a physical or mental disability.
  • Your child’s disability existed prior to reaching the maximum age of an eligible child dependent under your plan.
  • Your child relies primarily on your support and maintenance as a result of the disability.
  • Your child is enrolled in an HMSA medical plan and has had continuous coverage with HMSA since your child’s maximum age of eligibility under your plan.

Documentation must be provided within 31 days of your child reaching the maximum age of a child dependent under your plan, and subsequently at our request, but not more than once a year.