Guest membership on the U.S. Mainland for HMO members
If you are an HMSA HMO member, and you expect to be living away from Hawaii for more than 90 days, you may have access to participating Blue Cross and Blue Shield providers in the United States through the Guest Membership program.
You may find this program beneficial if you:
- Are a long-term traveler.
- Are on an extended work assignment in another city.
- Have dependents going to school or living on the Mainland.
Note: Call the HMSA Away From Home Care coordinator at (808) 948-6466 on Oahu or toll-free at 1 (800) 776-4672 to see if the area that you are traveling to has a provider that participates with the Guest Membership program.
Prearrange your care
You will need to prearrange care in the new service area through HMSA.
- At least 30 days before you leave, contact the HMSA Away From Home Care coordinator at (808) 948-6466 on Oahu or toll-free at 1 (800) 776-4672.
- The coordinator will research and advise you of the HMO host plans available in the area you will be visiting.
- If a provider is available within the host plan, you will complete an enrollment form. The HMSA Away From Home Care coordinator will forward the enrollment form to the host plan coordinator.
Your Guest Membership
When you arrive at your host plan destination:
- The host plan coordinator will send you a welcome packet or letter with a list of physicians or instruct you to visit the host plan's website.
- The host plan coordinator will send a Guest Membership notification letter to the PCP you select.
- The host plan will generate a Guest Membership card for you.
- As a guest member, you are eligible for the benefits offered by the host plan and must abide by the provisions of that plan. If there are services that are benefits of your HMSA plan but are not a benefit of your host plan, they are not a benefit for you while you are a guest member of the host plan.
- Guest Membership privileges are available for up to 180 days. If you are away from Hawaii for more than 180 days, you may renew your privileges for up to an additional six months. For dependents who are away from home, Guest Membership privileges must be renewed annually.
- If you are an individual plan member, you are limited to six months of Guest Membership.
Note: Your HMSA plan benefits apply when you return home to your HMO service area.
For additional important information, we encourage you to read: